Sunday, January 20, 2013

If I Stay by Gayle Forman



I spent this afternoon at my Nanny's listening to the Atlanta Falcons play the San Francisco 49ers(sad loss for me) while I read If I Stay by Gayle Forman.( I realized that I can concentrate very will while listening to football. Even though the TV is on, it's the one thing that won't distract me!)
I read about 60 pages last night before forcing myself to sleep, and I knew then that I needed to bring two books with me today because I would finish this one quickly. So, I was laying there with half time and two more quarters to go wanting to move on to The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, and I couldn't seem to pick it up until I put my thoughts down, so here they are.

Mia has it all. She's got a loving family who support and understand her, a great best friend, a loving boyfriend, and an outstanding talent with the cello. But her life unravels quickly after a tragic accident, and she is faced with a decision she never thought she would have the choice to make.

I really liked Mia's voice. She had so much, and unlike most teenage heroines, she seems to actually realize what she has, and appreciates it. It was refreshing.
I didn't quite have the reaction to this book that I thought I would. I was surprisingly calm throughout reading it, while the general consensus is that it is a tear jerker. I can definitely see why. However, I felt like I was more in tune with Mia's point of view than with the story as whole, and throughout it she is serene, trying her best to focus on the decision she is facing.

One thing I will say about this book is that it has so many beautiful examples of love in it, which is a huge reason that I liked it so much.



I'm giving this book 3.5 stars. I enjoyed this book a lot and as for the ending....well. Let's just say that I'll be getting my hands on the second book, Where She Went, as soon as I can( I had to stop myself from reading the snippet in the back of my book! I always regret doing that).

Well, onto some Amy Tan!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment