Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Little About Me

Hello fellow book lovers!
My name is Hannah, and I am a Southern Belle who feels most at home with a book in my hand and a cup of tea within my reach. I've had this blog on my mind for a while now, and I have decided to begin!
For the most part, this will be a blog solely for sharing what books I'm reading and what I think of them, but I am not liable if other forms of my nerdiness spill over here. You have been warned. :)

I typically read fiction, and I enjoy all different kinds. I think what I read the most of is Dystopian and YA and, oddly enough, about the same amount of classics since I am currently working on my Bachelor's in English. I also really enjoy Historical Fiction, Chic Lit and a fair dose of Fantasy.


Here's a few lists of my favorites!


All-Time Favorites

1. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling- this series means so much to me! It's my childhood and my adolescence, and it's also shaped me to become the adult I am. To me they are the perfect books; clever, witty, an adventure that is touching and riveting. Okay, I'll stop blathering now.

“Turn to page three hundred and ninety-four.” - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen- I come back to this story time after time and I always love the characters and the story just a little more.

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 

3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- This is one of the first books that I ever had the notion to reread.

“There are just some kind of men…who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one.” 

4. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine- This is another from my childhood that I have read over and over again. It is a retelling of the Cinderella story, and it is my favorite version I have ever encountered. Also, it is nothing AT ALL like the movie.

“It is helpful to know the proper way to behave, so one can decide whether or not to be proper.”

5. The Abandon Series by Meg Cabot- There are three books in this series: Abandon, Underworld, and the third which comes out in May 2013, Awaken. These books are a retelling of the myth of Persephone and are brilliant with one sexy bad boy!

“Anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Anything at all.
One.
Two.
Three.
Blink.” - Abandon


6. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley- This was my first dystopian story, and I was absolutely mesmerized with the world that Huxley created and was a little freaked out, and impressed, to realize that he wrote this book around the 1930's and there are so many aspects from it that have come true today!

“I want to know what passion is. I want to feel something strongly.”

7. The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon- These books are always jam-packed with adventure, love, lust, and all of it steeped in history.

“Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.” - Outlander

8. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins- I read all three of these books in a matter of days, and was blown away by chillingly clever plot.

“I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.”

9. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie- Don't let the hilarious illustrations in this book fool you. This is no children's picture book, although I believe that every adolescent and adult alike should read this book. Probably more than once.

“If you're good at it, and you love it, and it helps you navigate the river of the world, then it can't be wrong.” 

10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- Ever read a book and feel like it was meant for you? That was my experience with this beautiful, touching book about coming of age and learning how to love ourselves.

“We accept the love we think we deserve.” 


Well, it's rainy out, and I'd like nothing more than to make some tea and finish my book!
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment