Thursday, January 24, 2013

Baby Proof by Emily Giffin




This is my fifth Emily Giffin book, the only one I haven't read is her newest Where We Belong. I'm sure it's only a matter of time on that one.

Claudia and Ben are soul mates, and they have a wonderful marriage. When it comes to the important things in life, they agree on it all. Or do they? They have both agreed that they will not have children. They like their unattached lifestyles, and besides, they have all they need in each other. But what happens when one of them has second thoughts?


Possible SPOILERS from this point on. You have been warned.



We've all heard it. She wants kids, he doesn't. But what about the one we haven't heard; he does, she doesn't? When Ben decides that maybe he wants to be a father after all, Claudia's world is completely rocked. It's something neither of them could have expected, and once it is realized that they cannot reach an agreement, they make the(rash,IMHO) decision to separate and divorce. This is the point in Giffin's novels where I want to smack all of the characters. Maybe twice. And yet, without all the struggle we wouldn't have the novel.
Babies are the last thing that Claudia wants to hear about, but they are popping up everywhere. With her family, her friends. So it doesn't take her long to figure out what she has given up. And it might not be what you think. Is it too late?



I had a problem identifying with Claudia because I do want to be a mother, very much. And signs are leaning toward me empathizing more with her sister Daphne. So I really had to step out of my boundaries on this one to understand where she is coming from, however Giffin does a remarkable job describing it.
Overall I enjoyed the novel, as I always do with Giffins work. I gave it 4 stars and I look forward to reading her next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment