Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Thief's Daughter by Jeff Wheeler

The Thief's Daughter by Jeff Wheeler




This is the second book in the Kingfountain Series, and I found it most enjoyable! Here's what I liked..

How clean this book is. This is a book that is appropriate for readers of all ages. While I am not really a fan of censoring what young people choose to read, as a parent I do believe that maturity levels should be taken into consideration. Thus far this series has been very clean and modest, which is something that I can certainly appreciate with so much push out there to over sexualize everything. It has been refreshing. I feel that this series will be great for male adolescent readers since the protagonist is male, and has a lot of action as well.

I really enjoy the world that Wheeler is building. It has some very obvious nods to British history, with murdered princes and references to Roses. And of course the ever present story line of an upstart attempting to usurp the throne. If you enjoy that type of historical fiction then you will like this story. Also, there is an element of magic as well. People in this land are Foutainblessed, which makes me think of Kristen Cashore's Graveling series, a series that I love very much.  I love the Fountain as a character also. There is just something to be respected about the power of water. There are certain elements that also smack a bit of the Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin. Like in those books, each house has a standard that is flown, and they are often very colorful, and described in detail.
** So I wrote the above right after starting this book. When I read the Afterward, Wheeler says that this series is based in an alternate universe where the War of the Roses ends differently. Makes so much sense! Ha! I love his alternative take on such an influential portion of history. The history of the Tudors is one of my favorite "sections" of history to read about.


My only critique of the book is that it seems to take a while for the story to warm up and get going. There is a lot going on in these stories, and I feel like sometimes the storylines don't always reach their full potential. However I will say that this book delivered much more than the first installment, as good as that was. I think it's because the characters are older and therefore have more complicated story lines that I can relate to more.

And those story lines? Yeah, they broke my heart this time. Ah, middle books.

Anyhow, this is a great read that I think will please readers across the board! Check it out!

Happy Reading,
HLP

No comments:

Post a Comment