Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer




We open with a mystery. Who is Mara Dyer? Who is she really? 

This question is honestly forgotten rather quickly as we are pulled into her story. She is the sole survivor of a terrible accident that claimed the life of her childhood best friend, her boyfriend, and his sister. But that's not the worst part. She is beginning to see things, terrible things. 

Along with all of that, her family has relocated to Florida. They all want it to be a new start, but horrible things keep happening. 

When Mara meets the infamous Noah Shaw, things only get even more twisted. 
They both come to realizations about themselves that could change everything. Now they are faced with a question; can they handle what lies ahead for them? 


I was really drawn in my Mara's "voice". I sort of have a thing for snarky teenage dialogue in my YA. It was also very refreshing to read a character like Noah Shaw. He's your typical YA boyfriend, only he doesn't SEEM to be as big of a pretentious jerk with obsessive tendencies that we are use to. And, he British, so, yeah.

This is no 'intellectual' read,  but I was really very drawn in by the story and I am excited to read the next two installments. I read this on my Kindle, so I went out and bought the second and third books in paper for my library. The next time I visit the used bookstore I will be picking the first one up in paper too.I'll be crossing this one off my list at #13- A book with a female heroine.

For now, I am reading the fifth book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, which I am completely in love with. Due to the length of said book, it might be a while before I get to write again!


Happy Reading!
HLP

No comments:

Post a Comment