Thursday, April 9, 2015

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

** Scrolling through my posts, found this draft. NO IDEA why it never got posted So, here.


Classic Summer 2013- Harry Potter Series



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling


"Harry, yer a wizard"

Well I have finished the first one, and as I had hoped, I am totally in love with it. I can definitely see what drew me in as a young reader, but reading as an adult really takes it to another level. My vocabulary is much improved, (and I must say, Rowling's writing vocabulary is very impressive. Something I am very picky about) so I am better able to understand the full meaning of certain things, much more so than when I was reading this for the first time at about twelve years old. I will admit, I was not a very experienced reader. I read quite a lot, but the books I read were certainly not on par with Harry.



Okay, if this post contains spoilers for you, then I don't know where you've been for the past sixteen or so years but, get with the program already!





One of my favorite things about this book is the way it made me laugh out loud at times. There are some very serious themes going on, such as child abuse, homicide, as well as race and class issues, and Rowling can still make me giggle with a stunt that the Weasley twins pull, or something cleverly funny from Dumbledore.

I really loved getting lost in this world that Rowling has created. Everything is so specific and detailed. There's an explanation for everything, and a good one, too. It is truly a world that I would want to live in.

I have always questioned whether or not Dumbledore had suspicions from the get-go about what it would take to finally destroy Voldemort. This has always been a sore spot for me, because of course I love Dumbledore, and Harry really never has a clear answer. It's really hard to think that Dumbledore could have been "using" Harry in a way. But after reading I think that Dumbledore could never have predicted what happened in the end. He says something to that effect when they leave Harry at 4 Privet Drive.

All in all, I really enjoyed rereading this one, and my rating of five stars stayed the same. On to the next one!

And now for some lovely visual images to brighten your day!









Happy Reading,
HLP



No comments:

Post a Comment