Tuesday, February 19, 2013

PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern


PS, I Love You is Cecelia Ahern's debut novel, first published in 2003. It is a beautiful story about loss, letting go, and finding ourselves, even in impossible situations. Many of you have probably seen the movie starring the extremely handsome Gerard Butler


I unknowingly broke my own sacred rule and watched the movie first! Somehow the fact that this book existed completely escaped me. I only got around to watching the movie last year, so when I saw Cecelia Ahern's name in the credits I smacked myself on the head. OF COURSE that plot came from it book, it's so wonderful. It took me forever to find a copy and even longer to get around to reading it, but now that I have, I am mostly pleased. 

This is actually the third book by Ahern that I have read, and I really do enjoy her writing. The magical elements in her stories are captivating, and while there is a touch of that here, you can really see how this book was a launching pad for her compared to her other books.

Daft as I am, when I started reading, I didn't know that it was her first novel, but it didn't take me long to come to that conclusion. The writing is good, but having read her other things first, there is a remarkable maturation that she has achieved in her writing since this book. So if this is the only Ahern you've read and you're thinking' eh, that was alright but the writing was a bit spotty', take my word for it, it only gets better!


SPOILERS! :)



Gerry and Holly Kennedy have a beautiful relationship. They love each other wholeheartedly, imperfections and all. They are not only husband and wife, but best friends. When Gerry is diagnosed with a brain tumor after having severe headaches, they draw even closer to each other, cherishing every last moment together.
We are left with a deeply grieving Holly, who is struggling to get out of bed each morning as she tries to make sense of the life that she finds herself in. Her mother has been calling her repeatedly, reminding her about a mysterious package that has been left with her for Holly.
When Holly finally gets around to opening it, she is shocked and elated to find messages from her Gerry, an envelope per month through the end of the year. Through these messages, Holly feels that Gerry is with her again, and with each letter, Holly is sent on another adventure on her road to self-healing.

There were moments when I had tears in my eyes, and just as many moments when I was rolling around on my couch, laughing like a maniac(my husband is pretty sure that I am, har har) 
I gave the book three stars because of some editing and continuity issues that I couldn't get past, but I loved the story and I can't wait to read more Ahern in the future.








No comments:

Post a Comment