Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot 

So I have a confession to make. I use to own nearly all of these. And they sat on my shelf for such a long time, begging to be read. And like a total idiot, I ignored them, even though I was, and remain, a HUGE Meg Cabot fan! Why did I do this? Because, I had completely fallen in love with the Disney adaptation starring Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews. I mean, as a preteen, did I even stand a chance? Especially considering I broke the rule and watched the movie before I read the book? And if you have ever read any of this series, you will wonder how in the world these two stories have the same origin(okay, well not entirely, but I digress). 

So far I have read the first three installments in the Princess Diaries series. 


Once I began reading, I was surprised to find that these books all take place over the time frame of a few months. While this isn't the most conventional time progression, I got use to the idea pretty quickly.

So Mia. Amelia. If I ever have a girl, that is what I shall name her. I wish I was half as passionate about anything as Mia is about everything. She may not begin well with asserting herself, but she definitely knows how she feels about things. And man, I forgot what I was like to be in the mind of a 14 year old, and the requisite obsession with breasts! The only difference in Mia and I is that while she is a "giantess", I'm a little more hobbit sized.

Over the time frame of these three books, Mia goes through quite a lot. First, there is the premise for the whole series. She finds out that she is the sole, albeit illegitimate heir, to the small country of Genovia. And then she flails. But hey, who wouldn't? During the first book, while all of this princess stuff is unraveling around her, Mia's mom, Helen, becomes involved with her Algebra teacher, which is her worst subject in school( another thing we have in common!). Her best friend, Lily, can only add to the drama because she cannot grapple with her type- A personality long enough to consider Mia's feelings. I know I'm suppose to like Lily, and I do really, she just makes it hard sometimes. And then there is Lily's brother Michael, who Mia, in the first book, sort of likes. This is my only real discrepancy so far. Because as we transition to the second book, Mia is suddenly IN LOVE with Michael. And who can blame her, I'm half in love with him too. It just seemed to be rushed a little. 

Either way, I have really enjoyed reading these books thus far. They have been quick reads, and I find that once I pick one up I am unable to put it down until I am finished. I currently only own only these three, and my stupid library doesn't have them (who do they think they are, anyway?), so I see a trip to the bookstore ASAP!


Crossing this one off the list!
25 A book that is more than 10 years old.

Happy Reading,
HLP

No comments:

Post a Comment