Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

I really liked this one. I watched the movie ages ago(love me some Johnny Depp!) and really liked it, but I was surprised by this book. They drastically changed the plot for the movie, of course. Even so, I enjoyed the book, and plan on rewatching the movie, which I'm sure I will also enjoy.

It took a few pages for me to get a hold on the writing style. Something about it made me need to reread sentences because I had often missed things. This was not a book that I could have rushed through. I would recommend this to someone who likes descriptive writing with plenty of adjectives to chew on. I normally do not enjoy overly detailed description, although I feel like there was a fair balance with plot here. I probably minded the description even less because of the passages detailing the chocolate. Holy Mother of Truffles. This book gave me chocolate cravings worse than any period I've ever had, and that's saying something let me tell you. Yeah, I was seriously jonesing for chocolate, any chocolate. Somehow I made it through without sending myself into a diabetic coma(if anyone is reading this who has already read this book, there are so many unintentional puns in this post...forgive me). But if I had my way, I would have looked like this...
Yeah, that's not me. The things you can pull up on Google....


Anyhow, I thought this book was lovely. I'll be searching for Harris' other books. Three stars.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment